Monday, February 16, 2015

Cheater refried beans

I love tacos and beans.... my hubby was craving a taco with carne asada the other night, so I caved and made them. We used meat already sliced thin which I marinated and grilled then chopped and used in my taco topped with cilantro lime coleslaw and avocado slices. I had watched Trisha Yearwood make Cheater beans a couple of Saturday's ago and thought I would try the recipe. But alas I only had black beans which I like better than pinto beans anyway. So that is what I used. I also had some cooked bacon leftover in the fridge and I always save my bacon grease in a jar in the fridge to use when needed. Delicious! Enjoy

Cheater Refried Beans
recipe adapted from Trisha Yearwood's Cheater beans
(original recipe)


Ingredients:
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped (I like to bake mine in the oven ahead of time)
1/4 medium onion, finely diced
1 (15 oz) can Bush's seasoned recipe black beans (don't drain these)
1 (15 oz) can Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium tomato, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
Salt and pepper
approx. a Tablespoon chopped cilantro (I use the cilantro in the tube.. and just gave it a couple of squirts) you can use fresh if you like.


Directions:
I bake my bacon ahead of time on a large cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or your desired doneness. Place cooked bacon on paper towel to cool, then chop and set aside. Drain the bacon grease into a small clean jar. I keep this in the refrigerator, very nice to have on hand.

In a large saucepan, add a 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and heat over medium heat; then add the onions and cook until the onions are translucent, a couple of minutes. Do not drain the bacon grease because it gives the beans a good taste. Add the beans, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and 1/2 can water, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add some salt and pepper, the cumin and the cilantro and simmer for enough couple of minutes.  Remove from the heat. I like to use a  potato masher and mash some of the beans. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.


Serve along side tacos, or your favorite Mexican dish, Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...